Fort Totten State Historic Site stands today much as it stood when first erected in 1867. It was built to protect overland transportation and supply routes. Many of the Lake Region pioneers settled here by way of the Fort Totten military post. In 1890, the military post was decommissioned and from 1891-1935 it served as a Bureau of Indian Affairs Boarding School. Faded murals from this era reflect everyday life of the school children and can still be seen adorning the walls of several buildings. The Fort also served briefly as the preventorium for residents with tuberculosis. In 1940 it was returned to an educational facility and serves as a grade school and high school for the Fort Totten Community until 1959. In 1960, the Fort became a state historical site and continues in that role today. Many visitors come each year to walk the grounds and enter the original buildings experiencing the past. You will find the Interpretive Center, The Plummer's Store, The Little Theatre, Traveling Exhibits, Pioneer Daughter's Museum, the Totten Trail Historic Inn, and much more.